Monday, February 22, 2010

Good-bye Old Friend


Well the day came that I was hoping would not come. My sweet Dixen finally got to where he could not get up. We took him in this morning and had he put to sleep. This is the only dog we have had since we got married. We got him in 2000 when I was pregnant with Cole. We meet some people at a pet store that rescued greyhounds and then put the up for adoption. We went to their house and they brought out 10 dogs for us to pick from. Immediately I noticed Dixen because of his coloring. I thought he was so beautiful. But I was not sure about him because he was acting so hyper. He was running around and jumping. I sat on the couch and he came running up to me and hit me in my mouth with his head. Since I was about to have a new baby I knew I did not want a hyper dog. We left and came back a few weeks later and had them bring out 3 dogs, one of which was Dixen. Once again he was all over the place. Another one we thought about was named Romeo, he was a darker version of Dixen, but his nose was not as long, and I love their long noses. Romeo was not very excited, in fact he just went and laid down, while Dixen on the other hand was begging for our attention. I had heard that when you go to pick out a greyhound you leave with the one that has picked you and this was definitely the case. Once we got Dixen home he was not hyper at all, he was just trying to get us to take him home. He was such a loving, loyal and sweet dog. It's like he knew we rescued him and was grateful for it. Greyhounds are not suppose to be very active dogs, like a lab, but he loved to go on the boat with us, he loved to go camping, he just loved being with us where ever we were. I know there are greater tragedies that people are going through, but please pray for my family because to us this is a great tragedy and we are all very sad about it. Thanks Dixen for all the joy you brought into our lives and we hope that you enjoyed being with us as much as we enjoyed being with you!!!!

3 comments:

Charlene said...

Oh Lee, my heart goes out to you. I just saw you on Monday at the store! My sister is having her dog put to sleep tomorrow here in Hermitage. What a sad week for all. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your husband and sons.
Love ~ Charlene

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear your sad news.

Anonymous said...

Lee, I am so sorry. There is nothing as heartbreaking as losing a beloved pet. Be thankful for the years you had him and know you gave him a great life after being rescued. Another one will adopt you when the time is right.
Wendy